I’m in no way saying that some of the comments we’ve witnessed about Jeremy Meeks on the internet over the past 24 hours are okay.
Nor am I saying that his rather beautiful mugshot makes it up for the fact he is a criminal who has been arrested for serious crimes and has already served time in jail for a prior conviction.
But I just want to say a few things about this pretty weird but slightly wonderful situation we’ve been witnessing on the good old social media.
1. Jeremy Meeks took a ridiculously good mugshot. Anyone with eyes can see that he has certain features – beautiful skin tone, clear blue eyes, high cheekbones, full lips and a strong jaw – which a lot of people find attractive.
2. And due to his good looks and ability to photograph well, this is a man with male model looks. Women swoon over models who look like him every damn day, so I think we can appreciate the beauty of this one picture just for a little second.
3. Yes he is a criminal, but I know for a fact that there is someone out in this world who is also hot, 30 years of age, married with a kid and committing crimes in fields such as banking or politics. Difference is he is safely getting away with it BECAUSE of his good looks.
If Meeks was a big banker hanging out with the Hollywood types, there would be no issue with appreciating his looks despite his lack of moral choices. But once they see that teardrop tattoo, suddenly the world likes to get on its high horse.
Did we learn nothing from The Wolf Of Wall Street. Criminals can easily be the thugs in the street or the man in the suit. The difference is someone like Jordan Belfort was allowed to get out of jail and still make money as a ‘motivational speaker’.
Will Meeks be allowed to start his modelling career once his legal situation is over? I think not.
4. It’s funny! Half the memes and statues we read were put up to entertain other people and get the owners retweets and followers. It’s not that deep!
5. This might actually work in his favour and give the guy a chance to turn his life around and become a more respectable husband and father. But no one wants to think about that, do they?
More ramblings for you to read: